Is it possible to get rid of used hearing aids? The answer is definitely the same whether you decide to upgrade to a more sophisticated model like cochlear implants or you got them from a departed relative: donate your pre-owned hearing aids rather than getting rid of.
There are a lot of people dealing with hearing loss who would benefit from donated hearing aid, and several organizations out there that acquire and circulate those hearing aids to the people in need. Read on to discover why it’s important to donate your used hearing aid and learn how you can do it.
Why It’s Worthwhile to Contribute a Used Hearing Aid
- Of the overall populace, about 14% have some type of hearing loss
- Of all of the adults suffering from hearing loss 91% percent are over the age of 50
- There is evidence of hearing loss in 15% of school aged children
- Approximately 29 million adults with hearing loss can benefit from hearing aids, but…
- …hearing aids are actually used by only 16% (4.6 million) of them
- The average age for first-time hearing aid users is 70, but again…
- Less than 30% of those over 70 who require hearing aids have ever had them
This is very worrisome. Because untreated hearing loss has been linked to multiple health issues from an increased risk of falling to mental decline and depression. The importance of your hearing to your overall health is supported by new studies being released all of the time. Getting hearing aids can prevent these health issues (and in certain situations even reverse them).
And loss of hearing will cost the average family up to $12,000 every year which should be an extremely compelling fact. But that expense can actually be decreased by as much as 50% with hearing aids.
It may not be possible for families who lose $12,000 a year to afford hearing aids.
Your used hearing aid can have a tremendous impact, in the overall health, quality of life and financial stability, for an individual in need who could not otherwise afford a hearing aid. It may also cost a child the ability to get into college and better their lives because they are unable to hear in school.
Donating Your Used Hearing Aids
Old hearing aids are recycled and distributed by numerous manufacturers and volunteer groups. Come and see us so we can guide you on the right recycling option for you. Or you can simply give us a call.