Are you searching for some basic facts and statistics to finally get a loved one to have a hearing test or be fitted for a hearing aid? Talking over some of the data related to the frequency, causes and effects of hearing problems may at long last get them to make that first appointment. These facts and figures may help you persuade someone you care about that it’s the perfect time to have their hearing tested by a professional:
- Over the past 3 decades, the number of Americans with hearing loss has approximately doubled.
- Nearly one of of every 5 people in the United States have some type of hearing loss – that is 36 million people!
- Roughly 13% of the population over age 65 will experience tinnitus – ringing in the ears.
- Of the people who could benefit from using a hearing aid, just one out of 5 people wears one.
- Noise is a major contributing factor to hearing loss. Noise has already resulted in irreversible hearing loss for 10 million people. Another 30 million people are exposed to dangerous levels each and every day.
- Approximately 26 million Americans aged between 20 and 69 suffer from high frequency hearing loss caused by regular exposure to loud noise either on the job or during leisure activities.
- Approximately 13,000 adults and 10,000 children in the US have cochlear implants.
- People with hearing loss delay approximately 10 years before taking any action. Don’t let this be you!